Saturday, May 8, 2010

Release

Anya glanced around her to see if anyone took notice of the fact that she was slipping into the shed. It didn't really matter, it was father's shed. Technically, she could go in it any time see wanted to. But still, no need to draw undue attention to the fact that she was entering the shed with a large package in her hands. Slipping through the door, she carefully closed it behind her. The shed was dark. Setting her package on the ground, she lit the lamp on the wall and looked around.

A growl emanated from under the table in the corner.

"I brought you some food," Anya declared, glancing briefly at the wolf slinking out from under the table. She purposely didn't watch as wolf transformed into a man. If she never 'saw' him change, then she could truthfully claim such when asked.

"I change faster now," the man commented, as he settled himself on the bench. "it's not so weird to watch."

"It's not that, Denan," She replied, "if I never see you change, it means you can't be lailani."

"I thought you didn't mind," Denan commented, a bit defensively. Still, he was looking eagerly at the package in her hands.

She set it on the table and opened it up to show some lamb chops, steamed vegetables, and a water jug. "I don't," she said, settling down next to him on the bench. She didn't know much about him, but she knew he was handsome. He had brilliant blue eyes unlike anyone she had ever seen. He did have girly-looking long hair, but that was balanced by his extremely masculine form. As far as her family knew, he was just a poor dog that she had nursed back to health. She was going to have to tell them about him soon, if their relationship was going to go anywhere. She watched as he dug hungrily into the food.

Midway through the meal, he noticed her staring at him, "Is there something you want?" he asked.

She wanted to tell him how handsome he was, it didn't quite come out that way, "How's you're leg doing?"

"Better," he commented as he continued to shovel food into his mouth, "I will be leaving tomorrow night."

"You can't leave!" she blurted before she could stop herself.

Denan looked at her curiously, "It is not safe for me here."

"You can pretend to be human," Anya pleaded, "you don't have to leave."

"Why would I want to pretend to be human?" Denan asked, confused.

"So you can be with me," Anya whispered, this wasn't how this conversation was supposed to go. It was supposed to be super romantic, with him caressing her hair while promising his undying affection and willingness to become human for her.

Denan's expression darkened, "It would be a lie for me to pretend to be something I am not. I have responsibilities to my Clan, I will not stay."

"But, don't you like me?" Anya asked, surely, he must feel something for her, she certainly felt something for him.

"I appreciate the fact that you didn't turn me in when you found me," Denan said slowly, "And I appreciate the fact that you took care of my hurt leg, but I do not feel special feelings for you. There is another that holds my affection."

"You have a girlfriend?" Anya asked, crestfallen.

"I am friends with most of the girls in my Clan," Denan said, confused, "I would even consider you a friend. What I meant was that I have a mate."

"Why didn't you say something earlier?" Anya accused.

"You never asked," Denan responded, "Besides, the fewer who know of my family's existence, the safer."

"You have a family?" Anya asked in wonder, "Like kids too? Are they cute?"

"If I do not say, you will not know," Denan quickly shoved the last of the food in his mouth, "I am a lone wolf, there is no one else. And soon, I too will be gone,"

Anya watched as Denan slipped off the bench, and flicked into wolf form. His blue eyes were so intense as he stared at her for a few moments, before glancing at the shed door. She knew he had children depending on him, she knew she would have to let him go. Getting up reluctantly, she moved towards the door. The moment she opened it, he shot outside. Silently, she watched as he disappeared into the night. She waved, but he did not look back.

No comments:

Post a Comment